Jan 16, 2012

Sensory Tub Organization

     I have been asked a couple of times how I organize our sensory tub material, so I thought I would share how we organize our material. When I decided to start using sensory tubs I knew the material could get out of control quickly and I needed a way to organize it. I finally came up with a solution that makes switching the tubs REALLY easy.

IMG_0178

     This is our sensory tub shelf, it’s one shelf in a cabinet that has doors (to keep Bean out). I have 12 different bags of medium material that are in Ziploc baggies (we don’t have quality generics locally, so I just buy Ziploc) with the month written in marker. The current month is folded up and sits next to all the others.

                                           IMG_0179

    In the white dish pan is our items that go into the sensory tub. Item are grouped and placed into baggies and also labeled.

IMG_0180IMG_0181IMG_0183

     Then sitting on top in a large baggie are all of our “utensils” that go into the bin. I put spoons, ladles, tongs, chopsticks, cups, and pitchers into that bag to store on top of the dishpan.

                                            IMG_0182

     Now when I run across something that will work for one of our tubs, all I have to do is put it in a bag. It stays somewhat organized, and is contained to one shelf. When I switch out tubs I have bags for everything, I put the medium back in it’s bag, zip and put away, sort out all the items and reload the new tub. I was definitely intimidated by making the tubs at first but they really are EASY, the kids LOVE them, and even Bean follows the “rules” so I can get a little work done. It truly has been amazing seeing all that has come from that simple container of items to explore. I hope that helps give you an idea of how to organize the material.

Thanks,

Len

MondayButton150

3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for solving the mystery of how to sort, store -- and retrieve -- the items for the sensory bins!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ideas! Lots of parents are intimidated at the thought of preparing sensory tubs, and you make it look easy. Thanks for linking up with Montessori Monday! I featured your post at the Living Montessori Now Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/LivingMontessoriNow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deb, I appreciate you sharing my post. Your blog has been a HUGE help in navigating Montessori for us.

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a question or comment.