Fiskars circle punch, contact paper, a single hole punch, and a binder ring. I used the circle punch to punch out two circles of each color; red, purple, brown, white, yellow, blue, pink, orange, green, and black. I should add a grey one since that is one of the colors we have been working on but I didn’t have any grey chips. Then I used a glue stick to glue the matching colors together so only the colors shows. I put contact paper on them and cut around the edges (I don’t have a laminator at this point) and punched a hole in the top, put on the ring and you have a game. Now how to play. We use them to name the color on the cards, point out items that are that color through the store, name the beginning sound, and can you guess what color I’m thinking about (tell them things that are that color and they try to guess the color, such as bananas are this color). The kids love it and it’s always in my purse (and doesn’t take up much space), so it’s ready at a moments notice.
The other day we where in the store and ran across an interesting game that elaborates on the color game. We have played it a few time and have enjoyed it so far, I also have this one stashed in my purse so we can just grab it, the cards are plastic and completely washable (perfect for restaurants). The package says “kid proof cards”, they will bend but not rip, it says 5+ but even Bean likes to play. I think it’s labeled that way because of the metal ring and it does require reading. If you’d like to purchase your own NAMiTS here is the lowest price I could find.
In the game there are four different colors of cards. You pick a color and the first card has a phrase such as “Name Different Types of…” then the cards behind that have words such as “games”, “pets”, “hats”, “movies”. That makes it a very open ended game and a great start to some interesting conversations.
We have enjoyed the game so much I actually went and bought another one to give away to one lucky reader. Yay, my first giveaway! Ready to win:
- Simply leave a comment below letting me know why you’d like to win the NAMiTS game.
- Follow my blog
- “like” me on Facebook
- Subscribe by e-mail
- The giveaway will be open until midnight MST August 24, 2011. Winner will be announced by August 26, 2011.
- Make sure to leave a separate comment for each entry, winner will be chosen at random!
- Please leave a way for me to contact you in your entry otherwise another winner will be chosen.
- This giveaway is offered to US residents only, sorry to any over seas readers.
- NOTE: In order to enter the contest you must leave a comment on THIS post. To leave a comment scroll to the bottom of the post and click “Post a comment” (If you are reading this via RSS, you will need to visit my actual blog to post a comment.)
- Winner will need to send shipping information once notified within one week, if not I will redraw for a new winner.