Jun 3, 2011

Tub Toy Organizer

   I have tub toys all over the bottom of the tub and it drives my husband nuts, so as a solution I made a sack that hangs in the tub and allows the toys to dry but they are still contained. I have seen them in magazines but just can’t seem to will myself to spend $$ on something I could make just as easily.
IMG_3858_thumb[7]IMG_3859
     I used an old “pet net” for the netting and a polyester knit shark fabric that I had on hand for the trim. I used some white ribbon to make two hanging loops and found a couple of suction cups that I had on hand. The kids like it because it’s easy for them to take on/off the tub wall and my husband likes that he no longer steps on toys when he wants to take a shower. Total cost was $0, I really like when I can make something for literally nothing. I was a really simple project, here is how to make (sorry no step by step pic because well I guess I was being lazy).
You  will need:
tread, fabric or double fold bias tape, ribbon, and netting (I have seen some in Wal-Mart and JoAnn's), two hooks or suction cups.
#1- Cut out your netting, my bag is about 8” deep and 10” wide. So if you want an 8x10 bag you will need to cut a 16”x10” piece of netting.
#2- You need four strips of fabric or bias tape. For an 8x10 bag you will need four 10” long pieces, mine where approximately 2” wide (if you are a new sewer you may want to start with the bias tape), basically you fold in half then in half again and tuck your netting in the middle of it.
#3-now you will put it all together, sew one binding onto the 10” side and another binding onto the other 10” side, then you will fold your bag in half (so it is now 8” tall), fold one of the binding toward the inside about a quarter of an inch to half inch. Start sewing the binding on starting at the lower corner. Once near the top you will need to fold over a little bit and insert a small loop of the ribbon.  Now repeat for the other side.
    Your done, you just have to hang it up and fill with toys. I hope I explained it well enough, please post any questions or any needed clarification, and please make sure I can e-mail you a return, if not check back. Hope you have a great weekend, we get to go to the zoo for Boo and his best friend’s birthday. What are your plans for the weekend?

1 comment:

  1. What a great project! I SO need to be making one of these! Bath toys are my daily, ugh!
    Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
    AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a question or comment.