Feb 17, 2011

Kids Folding Chair Makeover

We have had this poor kids folding table and chair for years, it has been very well used as you can see. There is only one of the four chairs left and the colored vinyl has holes in it. It has been my goal to redo it for about a year now. I am working on finishing the table next but I finished the chair last night and was excited to show everyone.

before

after
 We used a white fabric with small circles on it (reminded me of bubbles).
Then I bought a pack of cheap sponges (there are 12 in a pack and it was only a dollar), I drew the shape I wanted with marker and cut it out to make stamps. Then used acrylic paint to stamp the shape on the fabric.
Once dry I stapled the fabric and heavy clear vinyl to the chair and put it back together. It is a multi purpose chair now, that can be wiped clean. The girls have a seat, color practice (although only the primary colors), and shape recognition. The stamps can also now be used for school, we can stamp the shapes with finger paint.
I hope to have the table done by Tuesday. The table will be a little different because I want to set it up in the front room as one of our school stations. I like the idea of having stations but our house is very small and so space is limited. The table and chair can be folded flat and slid behind the bookcase so it's not in the way. I can them get them out for school work and have one kid work there on a few things then I only have one at the kitchen table (gets a little crowed sometimes). The two girls will be the ones using the table, mainly Sis but I'm sure Bean will help, I hope to be able to have them work on writing/ABC's, colors, shapes and counting there.

UPDATE: April 27, 2011

     The very cute blue table that I was going to redo because the vinyl was falling apart, complete and utter failure. I wanted it to be magnetic and chalk board so we could fold it and use it to write letters, practice sight words, and work with there magnetic shapes, but alas there will be no grand table make over. Here is when things went wrong, very wrong (I couldn't even take pictures I was so upset).
     #1 I used Kylon Magnetic spray paint.
     I honestly was not planing on using the spray paint but hubby was going to the hardware store and I asked him to pick up magnetic paint, told him it would be about $30 and sent him on his way. Well he bought the Krylon spray paint, his reasoning was that it was cheaper (I guess you get what you pay for). Well it was a peace of crud, the nozzle clogged and then the paint bubbled and then when it was dry, only REALLY thin magnets would stick (if you could even call it "stick", they kind of slowly slid down the table top).
     #2 Apparently you can't even add a layer of chalk board paint over top (which the can does NOT say). I had to read a post written by another blogger.
     #3 Bean decided to hang on the poor frame while it was up and the top was off, and well it never recovered, it's has now found it's final resting place at the landfill, may it rest in peace.
     I really wish it would have turned out, I'm still bummed (months latter). Needless to say that is why the table was never posted, I'm a little embarrassed that it was a complete fail, usually I can asses the damage and make a manageable comeback, not this go round, live and learn I guess. What about you, any grand ideas that just where not as grand as you hoped?

2 comments:

  1. We have had this poor kids folding table and chair for years, it has been very well used as you can see. There is only one of the four chairs left ... ffoldingchairs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have had this poor kids folding table and chair for years, it has been very well used as you can see. There is only one of the four chairs left ... kidsfoldingtable.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a question or comment.