Jan 25, 2011

Trash to Treasure Lamp

Ok, so this is the blah lamp I have had since shortly after I moved out on my own. Here is the lamp.
Very blah lamp, and yes we have been using it with no lamp shade, sorry to say.
When we moved into our new place I decided that I would give it a whole new look. Why get rid of something that works (sorry I'm a little cheap oh wait that's thrifty). So I have been racking my brain for ideas. It finally came to me one day in the middle of Target. They had a plain black lamp shade on clearance for I believe about $4.  My husband gave me the idea to use a bottle but that didn't work, so we decided on a vase that he had given me flowers in one year. He went to the store and found a few items that we needed.
We need a diamond tile drill bit, we used 1/2".
This is things we had laying around. Some smashed marbles and round marbles and a LED color changing night light.
 My ingenious husband took the whole lamp apart, cut a hole in the metal lamp pole using his grinder, and drilled a hole in the vase we would be using with the tile drill bit. I primed and painted the base, light fixture, and pole black.
Make sure you use water while drilling.
ALWAYS keep kids away while drilling.
Safety glasses are a very good idea.


The my husband took apart the night light leaving only the plugs and the electronics (trash any plastic parts).

He put the entire top part (on off switch and bulb part) together with the wire running down the metal tube. Then he cut off the prongs on the night light to about 1/2" long, spliced the wire, soldered the night light on to the wire and put the whole thing together. Here is the finished product.
We have three setting to pick from, off, the bright light on, or the night light on.
This is what the night light looks like. It changes colors from blues to greens and then to reds.
Thanks to my husband for helping (well I think he ended up doing 3/4 of the project). I love how it turned out, it's so much nicer (I must say the night light is a little romantic). If you need more details please let me know I would be more than happy to give exact details.

4 comments:

  1. I can't believe that's the same lamp. Great job!

    I would love to have you link this to my link party.

    http://blessingsoverflowing.blogspot.com/2011/02/fix-it-up-friday-we-dont-have-power.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. VERY cool! I Like it, a lot!
    You should come link this up to my weekly Thursday through Sunday Making It With Allie Link Party! I think it would make a Fabulous addition!
    AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for linking up! I hope you will join again next week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how it lights up!
    Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
    AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a question or comment.