Jan 13, 2011

Sight Words Train Game

Trying to get my 7 year old son to practice his sight words is like trying to pull his teeth (I wish I where kidding too). So I devised a game where the whole point of the game is to try and race the train by saying his sight words faster then the train can race. There are 50 sight words on the train tracks that he lays out how ever he wants (no memorizing order then). He puts the train on the track and turns it on, then he tries to say the word before the train reaches the word. Here are some pictures. 

The plain wooden train tracks




The train track with words on it, I used my label maker to print the words.

He has loved the game so far. It seems to be challenging enough but not so much so that it frustrates him. He also love the fact that he can change the tracks to run all over our house.